Have some fun while you learn about the power of natural therapies. Give yourself one point for each correctly answered question. Answers follow the questions.
1. Name two trace minerals important in forming healthy bones.
2. What mineral is approved for emergency intravenous use in treating a heart attack in progress?
3. What mineral has been shown to shorten the duration of a cold?
4. Which B vitamin causes the urine to become bright yellow in color?
5. Name the vitamin whose deficiency is associated with blindness.
6. What vitamin important for clot formation and bone formation is synthesized in the skin from sun exposure?
7. What nutrient has the greatest impact in treating periodontal disease?
8. What common essential mineral carries oxygen and can be elevated to toxic levels, particularly in men?
9. What B vitamin causes "flushing" and lowers cholesterol levels?
10. Which fat soluble vitamin plays an important role in heart health?
11. Name the amino acid that is a nutritional counterpart for Prozac and other SSRI drugs.
12.. What herb has been shown to improve both cognitive brain function and leg circulation?
13. What herb is routinely used to improve the symptoms of an enlarged prostate?
14. The deficiency of which vitamin can result in poor ability to remember dreams?
15. What nutritional oil is routinely used in the treatment of PMS?
16. Which vitamin is made by the liver of all mammals except fruit bats, guinea pigs and primates (including humans)?
17. What nutrient is depleted by use of cholesterol lowering (statin) drugs?
18. What common cooking herb is used to prevent clot formation and slow yeast growth?
19.What trace mineral is used to treat manic depressive (bipolar) disorder?
20. Name two herbs commonly used to boost immune function to help fight infections.
21. What phytonutrient in tomatoes is linked to prostate health?
22. The deficiency of what trace mineral affects thyroid function and contributes to prostate and breast cancer?
23. Name three primary anti-oxidant vitamins.
24. What B vitamin is most depleted in chronic alcoholism?
25. What vitamins are depleted by a diet high in sugar?
26. The deficiency of this nutrient during the first trimester of pregnancy is associated with neural tube defects such as spinal bifida in the fetus.
27. Name two nutrients used to address an abnormal Pap smear.
28. Name three minerals used to treat leg cramps.
29. Name an herb used to treat indigestion and to boost adrenal function?
30. What two trace minerals are most often supplemented to help regulate blood sugar levels?
1. Strontium, boron, silicon, chromium, manganese, or selenium
4. Riboflavin (B2)
5. Vitamin A
6. Vitamin D
7. Coenzyme Q10
9. Niacin (B3)
10. Vitamin E
12. Gingko biloba
13. Saw Palmetto Berry
14. Pyridoxine (B6)
15. Evening Primrose Oil
16. Vitamin C
17. Coenzyme Q10
20. Astragalus and Echinacea
22. Iodine (or less so, selenium)
23. A, C, and E
24. Thiamine (B1)
25. All the B vitamins
26. Folic Acid
27. Folic Acid and Vitamin A
28. Calcium, magnesium, & potassium
29. Licorice or ginger
30. Vanadium and chromium
26-30 points: Go to the head of the class!
21-25 points: Very well informed!
15-20 points: You’re paying attention!
8-14 points: Good and keep on learning!
0- 7 points: Don’t quit your day job!